Tuesday 26 February 2013

Rice Paper Chicken

~ Chicken pieces marinated with aromatic Indian shallots and ginger juice, and cooked in its own parcels. 

Jee Pow Kai meaning "Paper wrapped chicken" is a popular dish among diners in many restaurants and eateries in Malaysia. Brought by migrating Chinese to Malaya at the turn of the last century, the original recipe had endured the test of time although inventive cooks often add other ingredients these days.

Some were known to wrap the chicken pieces with aluminium foil instead of rice paper. Since the chicken pieces are to be deep fried, I'm not a big fan of this material as it might release harmful vapours or oxides into the food. Moreover, the use of shiny aluminium foil as a wrapper tends to diminish the rustic and romantic appeal of this fabulous dish.

I prefer the traditional recipe consisting of only chicken pieces and the use of rice paper or oven baking paper or baking parchment for the parcels.

Want to give this a go? Check out my mum's Rice Paper Chicken recipe. Please leave a comment or provide your valuable feedback in the Comment box. For more recipes and food posts, please visit Malaysian Cuisine

7 comments:

  1. Had paper wrapped chicken a couple of weeks ago and it was Delish! reading this post brings back the fragrance and taste - OMG I'm starving. Thanks Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that your first time having Paper Chicken? Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeff, have just hopped over from G+. These look absolutely delicious! Something I've not got around to making ever! Must give your mum's recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lin,

      Thanks for popping in, and thanks for your kind words. Please do give my mum's recipe a go, and let me know how you went with it. Have fun in the kitchen.

      Cheers,
      Jeff

      Delete
  3. Hi Jeff, dropping by from Luxury Haven! I love Paper Chicken too & often cook this at home. I've also posted a recipe on this sometime ago. Looking fwd to sharing! Greetings from Singapore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley,

      Greetings from Australia! I've had a peek at your Luxury Haven site. Wow, I'm impressed with your accomplishments. Keep it up.

      Thanks for letting me know of your recipe. I'll have to find it and compare notes .

      Cheers,
      Jeff

      Delete
  4. Hello Jeff, I`m Happy to share my Liebster Award with you and a few others. Please read & collect it from my blog http://karinisafrauenfeld.blogspot.de/ and share them with your blogger friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to leave a comment or just sign the guestbook by entering your first name in the comment box. Thanks again for stopping by.